Multifamily Asset Managers
Public Housing Consulting
MAM has working knowledge and experience in both the multifamily and public housing field, and can assist you in implementing best practices drawn from all aspects of affordable housing. MAM can provide asset management, QC, and other consulting services in connection with financing, systems development, tax credits, portfolio analysis, and process improvement.
MAM provides the following public housing consulting services:
PORTFOLIO EVALUATION, RESTRUCTURING, AND REFINANCING
MAM’s professionals can evaluate your portfolio’s current and historical physical, financial, and operational status and help you identify opportunities and risks to develop strategies for the future:
• Determining which properties in your portfolio qualify for RAD conversion by reviewing rent structure, operating expenses, capital needs, and how conversion would affect the property/AMP, the portfolio, and the entire agency.
• Assisting in determining which alternative is better – PBRA or PBV.
• Reviewing and analyzing Operating Statements and Projections on a project/AMP/Agency basis.
• Reviewing Physical Needs Assessments to determine timeline for implementation and amounts of funding required.
• Analyzing sources and uses of funds on a project/AMP/Agency basis.
• Identifying sources of financing and equity through use of tax credits, FHA-insured mortgages, Replacement Housing Funds, Demo/Dispo funds, CDBG funds, State and local grant or loan programs, DOE, state or local energy grants, and loans, and use of bond financing.
• Assisting in obtaining FHA mortgage financing by sizing mortgages, calculating allowable rents and subsidies, recommending types of financing (refi or substantial rehab), identifying lenders, and assisting in negotiating rates and terms.
• Estimating tax credits and identifying tax credit partners and syndicators.
• Assisting you in submitting refinancing and portfolio restructuring packages and working with you in their implementation.
ASSET MANAGEMENT AND QUALITY CONTROL
MAM will assist you in:
• Analyzing your portfolio’s current and historical physical, financial, and operational status to help you identify risk and opportunities to develop strategies for the future.
• Conducting pre-SEMAP site review.
• Providing occupancy and financial management training
• Monitoring SEMAP and PHAS performance scores through on-going review of monthly reports and file reviews.
• Performing quality control over processes and deliverables to ensure regulatory and contractual compliance.
• Performing asset management to improve the performance of individual projects as well as the overall portfolio.
PROCESS IMPROVEMENT AND RE-ENGINEERING STUDIES
MAM can help your agency maximize efficiencies and reduce costs by streamlining operations, improving system utilization and management reporting, program management, and compliance.
• Evaluate and assess compliance and operational needs through onsite agency and property visits, key staff interviews and review of work processes, deliverables, and documents such as:
• SEMAP and PHAS scoring, REAC reports, financial and compliance audit
• Organizational and governance documents, position descriptions or classifications, organizational charts, training ladders and programs.
• Track and assist with any corrective actions noted in audits.
• Review existing quality and internal controls and recommend improvements.
• Provide financial management technical assistance.
• Review IT systems and make recommendations as to project management, document management, and reporting capabilities.
• Prepare a process improvement plan which provides key tasks and target completion dates.
• Assist with implementation of organizational change management.